Re: SMC etherpower

Top Page

Author: Pierre Habraken
To: Jerome.Le-Tanou
CC: Jorge, guilde
Subject: Re: SMC etherpower
Pour confirmer (hélas) la réponse de Jérôme, un petit extrait de
Ethernet-HOWTO (version du 1/2/98) :

``There are no guarantees that either `tulip.c' OR `de4x5.c' will run
any DC2114x based card other than those they've been written to
support. WHY?? You ask. Because there is a register, the General
Purpose Register (CSR12) that (1) in the DC21140A is programmable by
each vendor and they all do it differently (2) in the DC21142/3 this
is now an SIA control register (a la DC21041). The only small ray of
hope is that we can decode the SROM to help set up the driver.
However, this is not a guaranteed solution since some vendors (e.g.
SMC 9332 card) don't follow the Digital Semiconductor recommended SROM
programming format."

Pierre

--
Pierre HABRAKEN - mailto:Pierre.Habraken@ujf-grenoble.fr
Tél: 04 76 51 48 87 - Fax: 04 76 51 45 63