Re: SMC etherpower

Top Page

Author: Jerome.Le-Tanou
To: guilde
CC: Pierre.Habraken, jorge
Subject: Re: SMC etherpower
At 11:48 02/04/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Pour confirmer (hélas) la réponse de Jérôme, un petit extrait de
>Ethernet-HOWTO (version du 1/2/98) :
>
> ``There are no guarantees that either `tulip.c' OR `de4x5.c' will run
> any DC2114x based card other than those they've been written to
> support. WHY?? You ask. Because there is a register, the General
> Purpose Register (CSR12) that (1) in the DC21140A is programmable by
> each vendor and they all do it differently (2) in the DC21142/3 this
> is now an SIA control register (a la DC21041). The only small ray of
> hope is that we can decode the SROM to help set up the driver.
> However, this is not a guaranteed solution since some vendors (e.g.
> SMC 9332 card) don't follow the Digital Semiconductor recommended SROM
> programming format."
>
>Jerome.Le-Tanou@??? wrote:
>>
>> A ma connaissance, pas de driver disponible encore pour les 9332 et 9432 de
>> SMC pour linux. Les seuls drivers que j'ai trouvés sont un version limite
>> béta qui ne fonctionnent pas.
>> C'est pour cela que je vais passé a freebsd. Car j'ai le même problème.
>> J'ai été obligé de mettre une 3com pour linux :(((

Je viens d'apprendre l'existence d'un driver (qui fonctionne) pour la
SMC9432TX (version corrigée/améliorée de la 9332) pour linux.
/*
* SMC9432TX Fast Ethernet
*
* Written by Semen Ustimenko. As i have no description on SMC9432 board,
* Linux driver by Donald Becker was used as reference.
*/

Le Tanou Jerome - Jerome.Le-Tanou@???
Cellule de Ressource Informatique (C.R.I.P.)
Universite Joseph Fourier - Grenoble I
BP 53 - 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9 - France
Phone : (+33) 04 76 51 42 54 - Fax : (+33) 04 76 51 42 74

http://www.ujf-grenoble.fr/~letanou/perso.phtml
MS is a lot better at making money than it is at making good
operating systems. - Linus Torvalds