Clustering par IBM

Top Page

Author: Yann FORGET
To: Guilde, Aful
Subject: Clustering par IBM
Une histoire très intéressante !
Yann

L'histoire complète :

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?99039.ecsuperlinux.htm

"Posted at 1:09 PM PT, Mar 9, 1999
Trying to burnish its engineering image as well as demonstrate the
technical possibilities of Linux, IBM slapped together an "open-source
supercomputer'" at LinuxWorld Expo last week built around a cluster of
Pentium II Xeon chips.

Using a subset of the Beowulf clustering technology, 17 of IBM's
Netfinity servers containing 36 Pentium II chips and running an
off-the-shelf copy of Linux matched the scalability and performance of
a Cray supercomputer. The IBM system executed a computer
graphics-rendering application called the PovRay benchmark.

(...)

During the demonstration, IBM's Linux-based supercomputer matched
the current benchmark record of three seconds that was set by the Cray
T3t-900-AC64, which had previously surpassed the second fastest time
of 9 seconds.

(...)

As for the copy of Red Hat's Linux, IBM purchased it at a local
Barnes & Noble bookstore the day before the demonstration

"We got the Linux by walking to the local store where we bought a
copy of the book Linux Unleashed for $39.95, and in the back of the
book was a copy of Red Hat Linux," Figgatt said. "Part of the message
here is we just took Linux off the shelf -- well, Linux out of the
book -- and were able to do some very interesting clustering with it."

(...)
The advantage of the IBM-based system over the Cray, of course, is
its more attractive price performance, company officials said. The
Netfinity/Linux
benchmark was done on approximately $150,000 worth of equipment; the
cost of the Cray used was $5.5 million, they said.

(...)

The benchmark results are now available at
www.haveland.com/povbench. Users need to click on the button that is
labeled "list all parallel results."

--
       \\|//       yann.forget@???
       (. .)       Network administrator & Webmaster