Re: Les Endians attaquent [GIF]

Top Page

Author: Laurent Vivier
To: guilde
Subject: Re: Les Endians attaquent [GIF]
Guillaume Postaire wrote:

> > >         Oui, mais les gentils concepteurs du format GIF (Xerox, si je ne
> > > m'abuse - et je ne m'abuse pas souvent) ont eu la bonne idée de le rendre

> > Ah, je croyais que c'etait compuserve, non ?
>
> OUI (tm)
> par contre, il utilise une methode de compression breveter par une autre
> societer...des que ce brevet tombe, ils vont faire payer pas avant...et il
> tombe sous peu !

Encore une je fois, c'est peut-etre plutot l'inverse:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

There are no GIFs on the GNU web site because of the patents (Unisys and IBM)
covering the LZW compression algorithm which is used in making GIF files. These
patents make it impossible to have free software to generate proper GIFs. They
also apply to the compress program, which is why GNU does not use it or its
format.

Both Unisys and IBM applied for their patents in 1983, which means they will now
expire in the year 2003. Until then, anyone who releases a free program for
making GIF files is likely to be sued. We don't know any reason to think that the
patent owners would lose these lawsuits.

If we released such a program, Unisys and IBM might think it wiser (for public
relations reasons) not to sue a charity like the FSF. They could instead sue the
users of the program, including the companies who redistribute GNU software. We
feel it would not be responsible behavior for us to set up this situation.

Many people think that Unisys has given permission for distributing free software
to make GIF format. Unfortunately that is not what Unisys has actually done. Here
is what Unisys actually says about the matter:

No license or license fees are required for non-commercial, not-for-profit
GIF-based applications or for non-commercial, not-for-profit GIF-freeware, so
long as the LZW capability provided is only for GIF. However, a license is
required if freeware is incorporated into, or sold or distributed with a
commercial or for-profit product, introduced in 1995 [or later], or enhancements
of products that were introduced prior to 1995.